I feel as though I’ve spent the past month stuck in a kind of groundhog food haze. Day in day out you could hear my despondent whine: What’s can I have for breakfast? What about lunch? What the h*^^ are we going to have for dinner …
Well, it’s over folks. My thirty days are done.
I want to say it was life changing, that I saw such wondrous changes as to sing halleluja. I really do.
But it didn’t happen.
Here’s the thing:
- I lost 5 lbs.
- I think, but I’m not 100% sure, that my blood pressure is good. I have the sort of blood pressure that will be fine, then spike, then be fine again, and you end up not knowing what’s going on and when it’s going to do it, so all I can say is that it seems to be fine, unless it’s not, which is great, or not so great, depending. Also, unless I see the doctor I wont know if anything else has improved. My cholesterol has always been good. I do take thyroid meds so that could be interesting.
- I found out that I didn’t need alcohol. Always a bonus. (Did I just say that?)
What else? I really can’t seem to think of anything.
What other things happened?
- I got arthritis. O.K. so it didn’t just happen, but it flared up considerably. I had to take advil and everything … so, I won’t be recommending this diet to my sister who has chronic R.A. Not yet anyway.
- I was constipated the whole time. Still am, but we wont mention that.
- I feel low. I think due to the psychological ramifications of restrictions and failures and all those other psychological ramifications things.
- I generally feel unwell. If you remember I seem to have that whole brain not keeping up with my head thing going on at the moment.
- I am cold all of the time. I mean, really cold, unusually so. The kind where I need the heat on, the fire on, and an old lady blanket tucked tightly around my legs; and two extra quilts on the bed, while everyone else is lounging around in short-sleeved t-shirts and moaning that there’s something wrong with me and just put another jumper on why don’t you.
- I’m tired and have no energy. P says he also has less energy so I don’t think it’s just me.
- I’m bored. P is bored. Eating has become boring. N has taken to fast fooding because she’s bored with the boring choices in the house. That completely negates the healthy living attempt in my opinion.
The Whole 30 is said not to be a diet, but a life change.
It is a diet. It’s not a bad diet, but it’s extremely restrictive, and that makes it a diet in my books, and, did I mention that it’s boring?
So in conclusion:
I do think it’s important to pay attention to what you eat, but I didn’t have to eliminate many food items in the aisle section of the grocery store, (the ones in cans and with preservatives up the wazoo), because I rarely bought them in the first place. I think my only staple food items in cans or packages were, salt/sugar-free diced tomatoes, black, garbanzo and cannellini beans which I rinsed before eating. Organic where possible. Canned beans are likely not as healthy as dried beans but what’s a girl to do …
I did use condiments such as soy sauce, fish sauce, mustards, olive oil, etc. for cooking, and occasionally pasta. Oh and cereal, mainly great grains and bran buds. Those were probably the biggest offenders.
As for dairy: Milk, cheese and plain greek yogurt. And I went through phases on the cheese, so that really was a hit or miss food for me.
I also used to eat potatoes, brown rice and sometimes bulgur and wheat berries.
I hardly ever ate chips, cakes, candies, ice-cream, pizza, etc. Just because it’s really not my thing. (I know, I know. Don’t hate me ‘coz you aint me). Once in a blue moon I’d have some but I wouldn’t go out of my way.
I honestly think the only reason I lost the 5 lbs was because I stopped drinking wine.
So, what to do now?
I will continue to pay attention to what I eat as really I always have, but I can’t be as restrictive. I’ve ordered a new paleo cookbook which I’m looking forward to, and I may well continue this next month to avoid wheat, alcohol and sugar, but not with such a vengeance.
What’s eating you people?